Friday, November 13, 2015

Enough!




Recently someone told me about Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, a philosophy of the tiers of things that human beings require and long for.  He shared that it is often difficult to focus, hear well, and receive the help, guidance, and support for those whose basic needs of food, shelter, and clothing are current realities.

As he spoke, I immediately thought of what is said in my precious Bible, what is laid out as the economy of the Kingdom, and the many promises God has made to attend to our basic needs and invite us not to worry.  In the realities of life, that is quite an invitation. 

I have read the amazing words in Malachi 3 about giving and the only place in scripture where God tells us to test Him for His provision.  And I have set myself to take Him at His word.  The experiment of conversation with Him and choices to go out on a limb to see if He really means what He says in the many layers of living has become the story of my life and the ever-building evidence that He will truly do it.

Faith is not built by living safely where trust is involved.  I cannot grow in my relationship with Him or see how faithful and powerful He is if I continually lean only as far as I can catch and fix the situation myself.  I will never see His amazing and vast and creative provision if my focus is on making the buck, because my eyes and heart will be on the wrong thing.  He may let me be successful, but what I really want to see is what He will do that goes far beyond the vision and work that I can muster.  I don’t have to chase the money to have what I need. I am not saying that we aren’t supposed to work hard; the difference is in what we are going for. We don’t see His more miraculous work when we are trying to build our own kingdoms that bear our own names. 

First, He tells us that He WILL provide.  He tells us clearly in Matthew 5, 6, and 7 not to worry about food or clothing.  He tells us in other places that we should work if we want to eat, for He wants us to not be lazy people, but He is quite clear that we are not to seek wealth and that we are not to continually fund the lazy, but to seek Him and be about His work/priorities.

Back to Maslow…and back to God…I love the parallels.  What Maslow recognized as the basics, God told us we didn’t have to worry about.  Rare is the person who doesn’t fret sometimes, and it is clear, and rather ironic, that in America with all that we have that anxiety is still rampant.  But peace is available if we begin that seemingly precarious trek to see if He will come through.  Actually, it is the safest move we can make, it just doesn’t feel like it until we begin to learn of His goodness and pure character.  It is far easier to believe Him if we will soak in His word and keep ourselves focused on the power and priorities He pours out through His book.  I can’t read it without having a thirst and re-stir to see what He will do in my life if I dare to believe and live a trusting life. 

I am delighted when I see what He does as I lay aside the striving for means and make my priorities doing what He says is important.  I could try to accomplish my semi-impressive goals OR I can lean in and watch His dazzling ones unfold right before my eyes. 

Read what God says about Himself.
Seek to build His kingdom instead of seeking to build your own.
Watch what He will do as you attempt to honor Him in every part of your life.
Let Him guide you forward by asking for wisdom.  He promises to give it, but we need to give Him our ear, heart, and attention to receive it.
Be careful not to justify your actions because of the “good” you will do with it….excuses are rampant in the world and considered normal and “the way it works” especially in the business world and regarding taxes.  Don’t cheat.  We are very inclined to be soft on ourselves.  God sees through it every time.  Be honest; you will be blessed in the long run, which is the run that ultimately counts. 
Practice trusting Him to give you all He wants, which will always be enough and for your best.
Watch an amazing story unfold.

No comments: