Monday, March 16, 2015

Waiting with Perseverance


Yesterday morning as I passed the pond on my way to church, there stood on the ice that still covered over half of the pond, a Canada Goose looking somewhat puzzled, it’s head turning from side to side as if looking for an answer. 

It seemed apparent that either the ice needed to melt or the barrier needed to break.  The goose needed to be in the water.  The ice stood in the way. 

In the natural, the temperatures will warm and by later today, it is likely that the surface of the whole pond will be water again.  In the spiritual, it seems that things sometimes are locked down far longer than when it seems that something should have shifted.  “Lord, this has been a very long journey…”

This I know, looking back over many times when things seemed stuck:  God is active.  We are to both wait for His timing and pray it forth.  I have gained much by trying to listen for the Spirit’s leading in how to pray.  Often He gives me prayers that I know I did not conceive, but it has been my privilege to pray them, being aware that He had given oil for the rusty hinges so doors could open. 

My prayer for myself and for you today is this:  “God, let our hearts and ears hear Your divine guidance to pray forward the circumstances in our lives that we and you care deeply about.  You are not absent or unmindful or inactive in regard to them.  Let our hearts swell with confidence in Your best work. and in Your timing, and may we press on to not be discouraged, but to keep listening for how to pray.  Help us, Lord, to wait for breakthroughs and victory with joy and perseverance, that none of what concerns us has been forgotten by You.”  

No comments: