Monday, August 22, 2016

For the Life of Me

As I sat yesterday with communion elements in hand, I was struck again by their simplicity.  Bread and juice.  It doesn’t get more common than that.  Jesus came for everyone.

As I thanked Him again for what He has done for me, being broken and totally poured out in the process for my redemption, I proceeded in the steps typical in the tradition I experience.  Bread first, then juice, as the pattern at that first Last Supper.  

He was wise.  We chew the bread, reminding us of our own brokenness and the need of a Savior.  Then we tip our head back to get the drops of juice.  The last thing before we swallow is that our eyes have been lifted upward.  Brilliant plan.  We need never deal with our sin without being reminded that it isn’t the end of the story.  
Photograph by Anita, from Easter Vigil  


No comments: