Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Delicious

I have noticed that in the last couple of months and the busyness that has pressed in to tend to much after momma’s passing, I have had an appetite change.  Being pulled to other things has tempered my hunger for God slightly and a long list of tasks has been happy to slide into the prominent places of my mind as many things need done and rest is calling me.  It has made me more aware of what happens when secondary things get our focus and begin to consume our attention and our time.  It feels like God has become wispy, and has slightly fluttered away.  I know it isn’t at all true, but it is easy to think that He’s less somehow, as this distance in perspective occurs and other things seem to rise in importance.

Where we walk and what we eat are core.  

If God calls us to something there will always be options that appear on the horizon.  We can take the trail of responding to Him, or allow ourselves to become distracted and soon we will likely start looking for signposts to rationalize any waywardness.  It is so easy to begin to choose the easier (but oh so costly) paved roads and forget the mountain of immovable goodness we once knew.   If we are feeding at other tables and begin to fill our plates from the flavors that will satisfy our current sweet tooth, our appetite will be changed.

It is easy to shift from first things when we are distracted, fearful, or busy.  I know how precious this relationship with my God is and how vulnerable I am to getting sidetracked from something extraordinary when I don’t give it my eye and ear and heart and my appetite consistently.  It is so easy to drift away.   

This God is worth having and worth the effort invested so I don’t let go of the best gift I’ve ever received.

Photograph from morguefile.com by oleiah

No comments: