Thursday, April 2, 2015

Jesus and Kroger


A Catholic friend was once telling me about his view of the sacrament of communion, the preciousness of the elements, and the casualness that he experiences in regard to communion (too casual he said) in our church’s walls.

He made some good points, one in particular that has made me pause and be more thankful every time I walk to the front to partake of the bread and drink.

Yesterday, however, I was thinking about communion again and began to consider this aspect of our practice:  There is someone in our church (I don’t even know who takes care of it) who gets in a car and drives to Kroger or Geyer’s or maybe Sam’s Club and picks up the bread and drink that we use for communion.  He or she walks through the aisles of the store, puts the items in the cart, and gets in a line to check out.  Maybe she even buys her weekly groceries at the same time.  Nevertheless, it is all in the context of a normal day.

To envision holy elements being right there in every grocery store in the midst of folks stopping in to get a few items for dinner, or an elderly, limited-income couple placing carefully selected sale items into their basket, or moms scurrying in to pick up an extra gallon of milk and a jar of peanut butter does my heart good.  I suppose that “buying Jesus’ body and blood” at Kroger could be seen as a negative, but I suddenly became thankful for it.  I like the idea of Him so very present in the normal stuff of life, “Jesus” nestled in among the lettuce, the seasonings, the box of spaghetti noodles and sauce that will be prepared and served to the family this week.

Jesus, not a distant God who is far above our daily grind, but a God who wants us to see His presence in life and who came to widen and brighten all of it.  Of course, it’s also good for me to keep in mind the sacredness that my Catholic friend’s practice embraces, for Jesus’ body and blood are surely holy elements.  I guess that’s the point…a holy God coming to earth to offer Himself into the everyday life for the redemption of it all.

Someone in our church gets in the grocery line and pays for “Jesus.”  And it can only happen because He paid for us first.

No comments: