Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Can We Believe?


The Call…The invitation that Jesus made to the first twelve was not lengthy.  “Come, follow me.”  No verification that He was the awaited Messiah.  No terms given of details of the job or fine print warnings.  Just three small words that came shortly after John the Baptizer’s own three that had laid the groundwork, “Repent and believe.” 

He makes it pretty clear that sin is all the stuff that we do when we don’t believe the promises of God and put the vote of our life (our actions) there.  He’s tried to make it clear for a long time, though all of us have disbelieved Him to one degree or another. 

The Commandments could be looked at through this lens:

Don’t waste your time and heart on worshipping something less than the One who loves you dearly and powerfully, and is always working on your behalf.  The other guys promises aren’t backed by any resources.

Don’t stoop to the desperation of creating something to worship out of the materials that I have made for something totally good that has a far better purpose.   That is all backwards and foolish. 

Don’t use your tongue to speak against the One who gave you the gift of one.  Words are both beautiful and powerful.  Be careful that you don’t pollute the atmosphere around you by spouting out things that are not true and for the good.

Take regular times apart to consider and be amazed at the creation, by the Creator, and about your circumstances.  In everything, even very difficult things, I am weaving and working good.  Can you see it?  Can you find Me? 

Honor and bless all the people in your lives.  (I know that parents can be challenging, so I specifically mentioned them.)  Look into eyes and see that I have put life there.  It might be broken and need a lot of healing, but life is a precious thing and you will be better for blessing it.

Speaking of life, don’t end it on your terms.  You don’t know my purposes and hopes and dreams and all the work I am doing to remedy it and bring beautiful things forth.  Don’t give up hope.  My schedule is different from yours and my timing is right.  Trust Me for that.

Wait for a good spouse of your own.  Then cherish and care for the one I’ve given you.  Marriage will be a difficult blessing, but it is the closest replication on earth of the caring and intimacy of heaven.  Embrace and invest in it.

Believe that I will provide for you.  You may not have the sum of your wish list, but I am faithful to see and provide.  The doors open further as you trust Me for what you need.  And when your desires align with Mine, you will be stunned by what I will do.

Be a truth teller.  Anyone can create and embellish tales from some thin situations, even true situations.  Nothing good comes from false accusations.

I know that all human beings operate on an almost unquenchable thirst.  It was a gift I gave you that has gotten horribly twisted as the enemy has filled shelves and websites with an array of toxic and unnecessary stuff.  Don’t get Me wrong, I love beauty more than you could know—can’t you realize that by the mountain vistas, tropical paradises, and daily sunsets that I’ve hung for you?  But receive what I have for you.  Don’t bother chasing a bunch of other things that will poison you.

All this to reassure you that I love you, I have and am working in amazing ways on your behalf, and I really don’t want you to settle for less that what I have ahead for you.  Believe me, Love.  It’s so much better without all the chains and confining cells that the options will lead you into. 

What you do really does all come down to how much you believe me for all the desires and hopes that you have and that I have.  Take a look again at my Son.  Watch the way He lived and died to bring life to earth.  It just doesn’t get better than how He did it, trusting Me for every last bit of what was in my heart and storehouses and plans for you.  

No comments: