Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Our Lazarus Opportunity


A short story told by Barbara Brown Taylor:  “I remember being at a retreat once where the leader asked us to think of someone who represented Christ in our lives. When it came time to share our answers, one woman stood up and said, “I had to think hard about that one. I kept thinking, Who is it that told me the truth about myself so clearly that I wanted to kill him for it?”

God Himself is all the treasure we could ever desire, but He is also, inevitably, holy, and honest with us. (He is God after all.)  If we decide to draw only close enough to get warm, but never set on fire, we will likely end up being of the lukewarm temperature and taste in His mouth that He spits out.  (Rev. 3:16, which, ironically, seems to be a fitting warning to go alongside of our favorite John 3:16.)   Do I want His goodies and comfort only, or do I want Him, in whatever transformation that means for my life?  If I don't take a close and regular look at my own condition, I am likely playing with my God toy for my own entertainment, a delusional game that will put at risk not only my game board, but my life as well, which are both destined to be turned over on some day down the road when the truth comes out.  

It's really difficult to let Him get close.  And it is truly the way to life.  We just have to pass through the death of ourselves to have it.  And that is the purpose of Lent, where we consider His life and death, and when we are specifically asked to participate in prayer, repentance, penance, giving, and self-denial.  Those are the hallmarks of Lent, which makes it pretty clear why the famous card company of the same name hasn't chose to commercialize it.  Not many buy in.  

Lent begins tomorrow.  Let Him close.  Let Him speak.  Draw close to the fire and see what new life can be had for you by Resurrection morning.  It might be a pretty amazing feeling to walk out of your own tomb when He speaks your name and says "Come forth!"  That is, after all, what we've been invited into.

No comments: