Saturday, July 11, 2015

Running Closely


This morning I came across this phrase: “Since then, [Joel] has been running closely with Jonathan and Melissa” and then there were given several examples of what their journey together had held.  It was shared vision, service, gifts acknowledged and developed, then offered for a greater good.

My spirit felt a mighty stirring.  I could immediately feel the companionship of those words, sense the strength that would flow from one to another, see the sweat that would pour down faces that were journeying together, the effort of both to do this race, the joy that would be present by having company, a common experience they shared, and the encouragement from one to another during the rough spots.  Wow!…and my heart recognized almost as immediately how often, even in a pretty full and supportive life, I feel alone, not understood, isolated in some deep places from those around me. 

But within the picture was some undeniable truth and a sense of comfort that I am NOT alone.  I have never been alone.  God has revealed His activity and care in more moments and situations, sticky though they are, than I would ever be able to remember or count.  What I do know is that often when the clouds are thick and the load of life is weighing me down, I can’t always see well, and it is not until later that I is made clear that He was with me right in the middle of the mess, walking with me through it. 

Sometimes it isn’t made so clear.  There are many questions and mysteries in life, things that I am not able to see clear enough.  But I have seen enough times of revelation to know that His faithfulness is vast and strong.  His character is perfect.  He will not leave me. 

Faith doesn’t exist without looking at some unknown, some situation not yet resolved.  It is the exercise that what we believe will hold true for the moments before us.  It is always in the category of risk in a way, because it hasn’t been unfolded yet, but it helps immensely to see and to hear and to collect experiences with Him, shedding the stuff that bogs us down and honing in on watching for the evidence of His activity. 

As I run my race and aim for finishing it well, I now will envision “running closely with Him” and “Him running closely always with me.”  There is strength in His muscles, power in His grit, joy in His persistence to help us and get us there, and the thrill He feels when He has those running who want to see it all and want to taste every good thing that He is doing.  

No comments: